13 February 2007

Films adapted from novels

Turning novels into movies is very common practice in the film industry, and not only in Hollywood! Last year, for example, we had The Da Vinci Code, Perfume, The Devil Wears Prada, The Kite Runner, to name just a few. How do you feel about novels being adapted to the big screen? Do you prefer to read the book before seeing the film? Do you agree with those who say that the stories always lack something when they are adapted to the cinema? Can you remember any successful or unsuccessful examples?

Join us in our thread at
Chinswing and record your voice message. And check what the others have been posting!

Read also:
Film review: The Da Vinci Code
Film review: The English Patient
Film review: The Green Mile

Film review: Rumble Fish
Film review: Timeline
Film review: Under the Tuscan Sun

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Monica and students,
I always enjoyed reading novels, but a centuray ago!!!!I don't do it much of it some years ago.I rememebr "Rich Man Poor Man", "Roots".Did you hear about them? When they are filmed, They had never been able to convey what a reader feels when moving eyes between words!
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

It is me Hala from warm Sudan.
I forgot my password, as usual!!!!!

Mônica said...

I agree, Hala, reading is really a unique experience. I enjoy seeing the director's point of view when the novel is adapted, but only after creating my own version in my mind!
Don't worry, I keep forgetting all my passwords too! :)

gazum said...

I like sayandpost.com better than Chingswing. At least you can post voice comments right to your blog.